Monday, September 7, 2015

Dry Brushing: Why Its Worth The Hype


I mentioned a few weeks ago about this (not-so) new beauty trend thats making its way back into the beauty world, dry brushing, and how I've been giving it a go, thanks to the generous Jen at Jen Charming. Prior to Jen reaching out to me, I was reading a few articles on Cindy Crawford for beauty research & curiosity, and in almost every article that had to do with her beauty must-haves, dry brushing was always mentioned more than not. For whatever reason, it sparked my interest, than again who doesn't want to know the beauty secrets of one of the worlds top  acclaimed models such as Crawford. So, I did my dry brushing research, & a lot of it.

The benefits of dry brushing are:

1. Reduction in Cellulite: I can't say first hand that this achieves this for me personally, though the consensus thats tried it saids thats what its supposed to help, maybe I haven't been doing it long enough yet to see such dramatic results like that...I'll take the pros word for it, though!

2. Exfoliates Dead Skin: This I can most definitely say this does. Since you dry brush before a shower on dry skin, the bristles from the brush help relieve the skin of dead skin cells to provide a smooth canvas, much like an in-shower body scrub can do, but less abrasive.

3. Decongests the skin: I don't have body acne, so this one I can't vouch for, either. Though studies and trials have stated that this can help decongest and unclog pores for clearer skin with continued, everyday use.

4. Lymphatic System: This simply means that dry brushing helps release and eliminate toxins from the body that can potentially make you feel unwell. Dry brushing is usually recommended during the day for this reason, it kind of jump starts your body and gives you more energy.

No wonder why Cindy Crawford raves about this every chance she gets! I was easily hooked on trying this technique, so when Jen reached out to me about a week or so after I read these articles, I didn't hesitate to jump on board to give this trend a try.

I have to say, I absolutely love that I did.

Steps on How to Dry Brush:

1. Before you shower, morning and/or night, on dry skin.

2. Legs: Start from the ankles, with a firm grip on the handle, gently sweep UP the leg in medium strokes gently, all around the calves and thighs, working your way up to the heart.

3. Arms: Start from the wrists, same technique and process as the legs, sweeping up towards the heart with gentle, medium strokes.

4. Stomach: gentle, circular motions.

5. Proceed onto your normal shower routine.


What I love about Jen's brush so much is that its double-sided: one side provides the dry-brushing bristles, while the other is a gentle, completely relaxing body massager that you can work around all over the body. The massager portion provides the proper blood flow and circulation throughout the body.


After my shower, I pat most of the excess water off, then cover myself in Target's up & up light sesame formula body oil (Neutrogena dupe for half the price), per Crawford's ritual; I then use the body massager side and take a few minutes to gently massage every part of my body in this oil, starting from the ankles up. My skin feels smooth, hydrated, relaxed, and comforted. I find this is the best way I can get a great nights sleep when I just take the time to do this step every night. 

If I find myself being a bit lazy (which happens some days, guilty!), while still in the shower, I'll massage Sanctuary Spa's 2-Day Moisture Shower Oil, and repeat the same steps with the body massager, than rinse off. Either route I take, my skin still feels so wonderful and my body and mind feel enormously relaxed afterward. I notice that on those odd days where I don't dry brush, my skin can get irritably dry the next morning, so I make sure its done (almost) every night!

I love how this brush in particular feels on my skin. This is a great brush to get yourself into the habit of dry brushing. Its very gentle, with a a long and sturdy handle to help better control and reach in those harder to reach spots! I love supporting up and coming skincare companies, and Jen's done an amazing job with this brush, so please go check her out here & get a brush of your own to start your dry brushing journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment