Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Beauty Blogging: Comforting My Depression

photo credit: google search, Kate Moss by Patrick Demarchelier

I don't ever go into my personal life too often, if at all on here or on my other social media accounts...I'm a relatively private person, and I usually prefer it that way, I always have (cheers to the introverts!). But I wanted to write about something that's personal, but also still beauty related.

Hello: my name is Julie, I'm from Florida, 27 years old, and I have dealt with depression for most of my teens and adult life! 

Depression sits like a heavy brick on your whole being, and not even the world's strongest man can lift it off of you. It's not easy to brush aside and call it a day, but it can, for some, become manageable as you get older. It's been an on-going struggle for me because I've always been quite hard on myself: school, work, and all my relationships with people; I've never felt good or strong enough in those areas, even if I was, I was always looking a way to "improve". I put stress on myself that I can be and do better, and even when I was doing better, I never felt that was enough...it's a constant carousel ride. 

I've learned through the years that I need to listen, understand, and become aware of myself more and why I'm feeling this way, trying to improve the best possible way that makes me happy and comfortable. It's not that easy for everyone who battles with depression, and we all handle it in our own ways, but when I notice myself getting into that repetitive routine of self-doubt & loathing, I try my best to bounce back as hard as I can, flinging myself into a happy space, trying not to turn back to see if I left any bits behind... 

I still find it hard sometimes for it to become manageable, we all have our off days, but I love life enough to not let it burden my being, and this is where beauty comes in...I've always loved writing, always loved beauty, and when being a beauty blogger was becoming all the rage, I thought it may prove to be a great outlet for me to express myself in a different, creative light that I hadn't touched on before. 

Beauty is just that, beautiful...when you're feeling your lowest, you want to be able to surround yourself with love, happiness, and beauty. I'm extraordinarily thankful to have loving family & friends in my life who support me. They'd do almost anything and everything for me, but when you can't give back to them due to your struggles, the sadness kicks in at maximum speed. You eagerly want to return that gratitude because though they may not fully understand what you're going through, they are there, never expecting anything in return...and thats why I wanted to start a beauty blog (& because I love beauty of course, duh!). For them, for me, for all of you that take your gracious time out to read my posts and follow me on social media: I thank you, because truly without you, I doubt I would have been keeping up with this for as long as I have, which hasn't even been that long at all!

Writing about beauty, sharing my interests with others that take like to it as well, its truly a wonderful feeling. We are a community, and I've formed a lovely bond with this community because it has accepted me, with open arms. Writing about beauty is something that helps keep my depression at bay, makes it become more manageable. It gives me something to look forward to, be happy and accomplished about...just so many wonderfully beautiful things that I love feeling that I can't remember the last time I took a ride on that carousel...

I appreciate all your support and thank you for taking the time out to read this lengthy post!...and now back to your regular scheduled blogging (...which will probably be tomorrow.... or the next day...yeah probably the next day, ha!).

5 comments:

  1. Hi, just wanted to let you know I really liked this post. As someone who too has struggled with depression since her teens, I really appreciate your courage and fortitude to keep going and be authentic about your struggles. I hear ya, Sister. Keep up the good fight - you're impressive!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, let's keep fighting this all together!! We can achieve and strive for only greatness as long as we continue forward! Thank you so much for your kind words & support! :)

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. Agreed! :) :) :)

      Delete
  2. Well hello there, Julie! Following up after meeting you on Instagram, and was just taking a look at your blog, when I came across this article. This is a beautiful story, and I admire your willingness to share your struggle. Glad to hear you have such a strong support network. And yes, somehow things do get better as you get older - trust me. Let us know if you are still interested in collaborating - we can be reached at: info@thechoosychick.com Be well! - Margot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margot! Thank you for taking the time out to read and pass along your kind words and support; it means so much, and just shows how strong and accepting the beauty community always is! I will definitely send over an e-mail your way! Best- Julie

      Delete